When I think of my childhood, I remember distinctly the first year we got Internet in my home. It was a tender time in the 1990s when Internet was simple. It was a safe time for children to use Internet unsupervised, and it was fairly easily navigable. Somehow, in my searching for fun on Internet I stumbled upon a website that changed my life, well, okay. It changed what I did when I got online: http://www.billybear4kids.com/

If you haven't been, go check it out. Granted it cannot run with the big boys as far as modern websites go, but when I found it I thought it was the most spectacular thing to hit Internet. Particularly though, I would like to highlight the activities as it pertains to my question here (which is: creating the best online countdown and guide to Christmas).

Billy-Bear's website offers all kinds of Christmas fun.
1. Fantastic Clipart - (ex. see fig 1., top left) While the art is something that could be, and probably was, created in MsPaint there is something said in the simplicity. Perhaps Christmas is not about fantasy artwork one might create in Photoshop. Perhaps it is about the simple craft of doodling a festive holiday walrus with nothing but your heart and your mouse. There is no shading, no idea of 3d or reality. Christmas is not reality either. It is a fantasy land better than the real world.
2. Games - There are plenty of holiday themed games to be had here as well! For instance, I have linked the most challenging game "Save Christmas from the Midnight Mouse." No backstory is given as to why he must be stopped and what his diabolical plans for Christmas are exactly, but as soon as you press the start button you are sent into an intense action experience. You must click the mouse to stop him... otherwise, he will burst through the presents! What, oh, what would you do if on Christmas morning all of your presents were already opened? The mayhem. The madness. The Midnight Mouse.
3. Adoption - One of the most selfless decisions a person can make in their life is to adopt a child and care for it in their home as their own. And then play with it less incase real conception happens, because everyone wants a real baby. This feeling is replicated here on Billy Bear in the form of ornament adoption. For just pennies a day, you can take an ornament into your website/blog/myspace. And it never asks anything of you. The only decision you have to make is where to put it, what color you want, and do you want it to be strung along with others? Perhaps your goodwill towards ornamanity can truly be showcased through the number of ornaments you take in. WOWJA, you might say. What ornament would Jesus Adopt? The answer is every.
4. Employment Options - Say you need some extra cash this Christmas season... well, I have the solution for you. You can help Santa respond to all of his millions and billions of Christmas letters he receives during the Christmas season. Now, I am not sure about the pay rate or how to obtain a w-2 for the next most magical season - tax season -, but I think it may all just come through magic. Magic is what Christmas is based on. Download and put faith into your payment.

More later!

Merry Christmas, friends!

90 days til Christmas!

0 comments: